A breeder named Jane Bramley combined the Lionhead Rabbit with a Mini Lop Rabbitto produce this uniquely beautiful breed. I got a baby lion head at 8 weeks. Pet rabbit breed profiles including dutch, netherland dwarf, lop, dwarf lop, mini lop, lionhead. The Lionhead rabbit’s origin started in Belgium when breeders decided to mate a Swiss Fox with a Netherland Dwarf. I just bought 4 lionhead bunnies 6 weeks old when I try to reach in the cage to feed them they run to the corner of the cage very sketish what can I do, I’ve had rabbits and they were similar to start. While its exact history of breeding is unclear, by the 1990s there were enough Lionheads in central Europe to begin exporting them to England. I’m now confused about which breed to go for. The Lionhead rabbit breed will grow up to 3.75 pounds. My biggest problem is that I have a five-year-old a seven-year-old and a 12-year-old that like to play with him. A strong social connection between rabbit and owner is therefore not required but still recommended. When they feel insecure they might show signs of aggression towards their keepers. in Pet,Pet Rabbits. All my other rabbits are very nice but she has become a problem drawing blood from me. Blue, the one year old can handle the rabbit under supervision and help. Moreover, it might also be due to their personality. Temperament & P ersonality. Not only are Lionheads lively and energetic, they also love human company and cuddles. Dee has been a member of the British Rabbit Council for over 30 years, Chair person for the National Lionhead club for over 8 years and a member of the Rabbit Welfare Association for over 10 years. This is not like him. The cage should be about 4 x 2 x 2 inches to make sure they have … A strong social connection between rabbit and owner is therefore not required but still recommended. Conformation and temperament are important characteristics, and a rabbit that is otherwise of excellent quality can be a boon to a breeder, especially if the single-mane is bred to double-manes. I know a lot of people will have pet rabbits in hunches outside, but it makes the rabbit used to being alone and away from humans, and can make it hard for them to become an indoor pet. They were very bonded, and now she is alone for the first time. Apr 13, 2016 - This website is for sale! Single-maned rabbits should be groomed regularly, whereas double-maned rabbits must be groomed daily. Lionheads are very sweet bunnies. We can distinguish the Single mane and the Double mane types. A few days after, the bunny attacked my 2 year old son and bit him twice in 1 day. I’d be lying if I said lionhead rabbits weren’t cute, friendly and incredibly smart creatures! The temperament of a Lionhead Rabbits. Size: Small/Mini Weight: 2.5-3.5 lb Lifespan: 7-10 years Body Shape: Compact Best Suited For: Singles, Seniors, House/Apartment, Families with children, Indoor rabbits Temperament: Friendly, affectionate, energetic Comparable Breeds: Netherland Dwarf Rabbit, Swiss Fox Rabbit New Search sharefull.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. Lionhead Rabbit temperament. The hair of the Lionhead rabbit is of medium length, except on the head. The lionhead can be seen as a friendly and well-mannered rabbit. The rabbit also likes to play with my two dogs and three cats. Additionally, they are agreeable and easy to train. When your lionhead rabbits are old enough for breeding, you can introduce the male and female to encourage mating. They should be treated gently and with love. Diet While personality can range from rabbit to rabbit, Lionheads are typically friendly and well-behaved. They can make fantastic pets, as long as they are cared for appropriately. Mine did, but they were always love bites. Although they enjoy attention of their owners and/or other rabbits a lot they don’t find it hard to be on their own. Lionhead rabbit facts Lionhead rabbit is friendly. They are oftentimes described as having level, easy-going temperaments. My other rabbit (mixed breed) will come seek attention – and then push you away the moment he’s had enough. I have absolutely no experience with biting from rabbits, other than young ones trying to snack on my clothes. (: Only for the reasons I described to Mallory, if it has been socialized. Lionhead rabbit fans boast that a Lionhead bunny personality is friendly, laid back and well-mannered. Hi I’ve just been reading this webpage. Hello my name is Teresa I just recently bought a lionhead rabbit a little boy, name is Simba and he is one of the bunnies. Lionheads are not only cute and perky, they are very good-natured bunnies who are also tolerant of children as well, and as such, they make wonderful pets for kids and adults alike. The Lionhead rabbit can exist in many different varieties and colors. It’s not that they dislike being held. Lionheads have a normal rollback coat of medium length over the saddle, and some have "transitional wool" on their flanks. They can become easily frightened, and this can result in aggressive behavior. Nevertheless, they do have a unique feature why many people fell in love with this relatively new breed. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough (I just scanned the article), but I can't find anything about the temperament of the Lionhead. His anxiety seems to be high. In this article, we will cover some of the basic characteristics of Lionhead rabbits, including their appearance, temperament, and … Although the breed had been imported around 1998, it was not till 2014 that the American Rabbit Breeders Association (ARBA) accepted the Lionhead Bunny as an officially identified type in the USA. She did use to lick my mum’s feet though! They also tend to be well-mannered, friendly, and easily trained. My main concern is temperament. Although they love attention it is not likely that they will feel lonely after a period of less or not receiving attention at all. Remember that all animals are individuals, so they will all have their own personalities. Rabbits may bite in a more serious way other than nipping for attention. Required fields are marked *. The Lionhead is a recent breed and still under development in many countries, temperament can vary quite a bit depending on the breeds used to develop each line. Does anyone have any suggestions for what we should do? I just don’t know what to do. Keep in mind that miniature breeds or dwarf breeds like the lionhead becomes sexually mature at around 4 months old. The Miniature Lion Lop, also known as the Mini Lion Lop, is a new breed of small pet rabbit that was developed in the United Kingdom during the early 2000s. They can also come in various patterns, though these are still being established within the breed, and the typical Lionhead is solid in color. Diet and care for the Lionhead rabbit. The length of their mane is on average 2-3 inch and forms a kind of “V”. Almost all the owners have loved the Lionhead and have declared Lionhead rabbit a good pet. If your lionhead rabbit keeps showing signs of aggression or attacks you on a regular base you should start making some changes. Not today. They thrive in the company of at least one other rabbit, though it can take time for a new pair to bond. Also take a close look at their environment. Lionhead rabbits are also fond of chewing like any other pets. Maybe third time lucky when I see the lion heads! The long fur that makes up the mane around the head is typically 2 inches in length. He is a curious bunny, so exploring around his pen brings him joy. Some other rabbit breeds are more skittish, but the Lionhead will quickly get accustomed with your hugs and kisses. Complete with oodles of licking kisses, nudges for more petting, and she greets me at the entrance of her cage by standing and stretching herself up as tall as she can manage so she can nose-touch my hand as I open the cage top. Make sure to inform young kids about how to handle Lionhead rabbits. The result was a rabbit with a genetic mutation causing wool to appear around the head and on the flanks and it became known as the “mane” gene. true my rabbits biscut and honey hate i mean hate being picked up ( they eat alot too ;P). Lionhead Rabbit Care Checklist. They are demanding and like spending lots of time with people. With the right amount of training by adults the lionhead rabbit makes also a good pet for children. This is not a rabbit that likes to … There are many good resources on the net for stopping this kind of behavior. YOU NEVER A ONE YEAR OLD HANDEL A BUNNY !!!! and ears in between 2-3 inches in length. They also resent being encaged for long periods. I have a huge pen that I let my other rabbits run around and at that time she chase’s them and bites them. General Information Temperament and Grooming Though new to the different rabbit breeds, lionheads are soon becoming popular as pets. Your Lionhead rabbit can also be expected to stick around between seven and ten years, making them an excellent long-term companion. Most rabbits are child friendly – many children are NOT rabbit friendly. They have compact and rounded bodies. It’s really good to spend a good 15 minutes ‘meeting’ the different rabbits that are looking for forever homes. Lionhead rabbits are very similar to cats. Lionhead rabbit temperament Part of the Lionhead rabbit care is understanding his behavior. If cared for properly, many of them will be friendly and seem to enjoy interactions with humans. Lionhead rabbits require a little more attention and care compared to other rabbit breeds. A lionhead rabbit has either one or two gene(s) that causes that the rabbit has a mane. Theybsaid she was calm and a great mother to her babies. She now growls and bites at me when I get her out of her cage for exercise. One belief is that Lionheads were first produced in Belgium as a cross between a Swiss Fox and a Belgian Dwarf. sharefull.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. Rabbits are delicate and kid are rough They have no idea how to handle a small animal I hope you did not get a bunny !!! She was nice until she got a bit older and became quite agressive. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Yes they are because of their friendly temperament and tolerance towards children. Each breed of rabbit tends to follow a specific temperament. The Lionhead Rabbit is a relatively brand-new bunny type within the USA. At this point, we are certain that it’s a timid rabbit. And, with their impressive mane, they need a little more effort in the grooming department. Plus, it is known for being gentle, and even tempered. Lionheads can comprehend certain orders quite well. They love roaming around and playfully chase humans. It is possible that they also have transitional wool around their hindquarters. When she settles down she will sit in my lap calmly but getting her out of her cage is an ordeal. If this is the case, stop stroking the rabbit and take some distance. From what have learned so far is that it may just be normal, and he is just needing some more attention, but I still ask if this is normal. Lionhead rabbit is very friendly, Calm, and well-behaved. Written by Mike Zhang. Hi. Lionheads come in two kinds namely, Lionhead Lop Rabbit and Mini Lionhead Lop Rabbit. Do I need to get her another bunny to keep her company? The Lionhead is accepted in all colourways including lilac, blue, sable, white, sable point, fox, squirrel, chinchilla, agouti, harlequin, frosted pearl and red. The rabbit weighs on average; between 2,5 and 3,5 pounds. Of so please let me no as I really would like a bunnny. However, it is the Lionhead’s personality which can be trickiest to manage. I am working with the lionhead. Known Health Issues These rabbits are not prone to any breed-specific health problems but can be prone to many of the same health issues many rabbits are susceptible to. It’s been about 4-5 days now and he’s becoming extremely aggressive with me and the kids. Normally, their mane is around 2 inches (5 cm) long. My lion head is quite shy, but when he wants pets he’ll sit there for a long time in my lap. Your email address will not be published. We are considering getting a few lionheads to raise and I am trying to read all I can about them. Temperament. The name “Lionhead” refers to its unique wool “mane”, which sets it apart from other domestic rabbits. My lionhead goes to bite my fingers Everytime I put my hand in his hutch to feed him. lop or dwarf would be my recommendation for placid, gentle bun bun. This breed has a genetic mutation causing the rabbit to develop a long fur mane around the head, and sometimes on the flank area; Hence, the name 'Lionhead'. Lionhead rabbits are lively, lovable and playful, so they make good companions and delightful pets. (with help and supervision). Therefore they require somewhat experienced handling. Your email address will not be published. I’m aware not all bunnies like being picked up and I’m willing to put the work in with a baby, I’m just concerned that if it’s in their personality to be grumpy then that’s it. Their compact size and unique … The single mane Lionhead rabbit has a wispy, thin mane around its head, ears, chin, and sometimes on the chest and rum. I know for a fact that I don’t exercise her enough and I feel terrible. With the right care, they serve as awesome pets and lifelong family members. The Lionhead rabbit is a breed of dwarf rabbit that, as a result of gene mutation through cross-breeding, sports a wooly fur mane giving it the appearance of a male lion. How do I groom him when he won’t sit still? The reason Lionheads are gaining traction as household pets is for their extremely likable personality. They like to play and are very attractive to people because of their fluffy and large fur. Almost all the owners have loved the Lionhead and have declared Lionhead rabbit a good pet. Although they both are responsible for providing the lionhead rabbit with a mane a rabbit with a single mane gene has a mane that might diminish over time. Some Lionheads have noticeably long wool on the cheeks and chest. The Lionhead Rabbit came about when Belgian breeders were looking to develop a dwarf rabbit with longer fur. However, she has become as friendly as the wonderful Dutch rabbit I had in my teens. Although the Lionhead is one of the newest US rabbit breeds, its exact history is unknown. Good natured and social, they will thrive on interaction with people, as well as with other rabbits. Temperament: Friendly, affectionate, energetic; Comparable Breeds: Netherland Dwarf Rabbit, Swiss Fox Rabbit; The Lionhead bunny has a woollen mane circling around their head much like a lion’s hair, hence their name. I was wondering if I should get her spayed. Temperament. With the right care, they serve as awesome pets and lifelong family members. Lionhead Rabbit’s Coat and Colors. The Lionhead is accepted in all colourways including lilac, blue, sable, white, sable point, fox, squirrel, chinchilla, agouti, harlequin, frosted pearl and red. Sweet and energetic, Lionheads are prized as house pets for their constant companionship. Do I need to find him a new home or can I rehabilitate him to be friendly again? Temperament The Lionhead positively craves attention and because of this usually makes a gentle, easy going pet that’s remarkably well-mannered. I am getting rabbits, and was looking at the Lionhead, but since I knew nothing about them, I had to settle for a Dwarf Hotot and a Holland Lop. If they panic they may accidentally hurt themselves or the child. Nipping is a very common. They aren’t animals that need a strong social connection with their keepers. Stroking eventually lead to rabbit sprawled/flopped on the chair in the Dutch’s case, and on my lap in the lion head’s case. Lionhead rabbits are gaining in popularity as household pets because of their temperaments. They're generally smart, good-natured and playful, but they're also one of the more timid domestic rabbit breeds. My brother has a lionhead called Reno, but he doesn’t seem to have a big fluffy mane even though he adores attention and does occaisionally bite.. can I train him not to bite? Around their head, chin, chest and occasionally their skirts(flanks) they are covered with an amazing mane of wool. They have compact and rounded bodies. You need to establish dominance and let the bun know that you won’t tolerate bad behavior. 7 mars 2016 - This website is for sale! Lionhead. The Lionhead rabbit is one of the newer breeds of rabbit and was recognised by the British Rabbit Council (BRC) in 2002, in all known colours and patterns.. Correct diet, exercise and housing is vital for your little furry pets to live a long and happy life. Feed your rabbit lots of grass hay. If you intend to buy a Lionhead rabbit, buy from a reputable breeder or rescue center and observe the rabbit’s temperament. In general the Lionhead temperament is friendly and this is a well mannered pet. Thank you! Personality of a Lionhead rabbit. It might occur that when a young child gives too much attention to the rabbit he gets slightly irritated. Lionhead Rabbit Temperament. This small rabbit breed comes in 26 colors, so you’ll definitely find a color you love. For that reason, Lionhead rabbits are great pets for children and adults alike. I want something placid, friendly and that likes being handled. Lionheads can either be born with a single or double mane. Lionhead Rabbit Behavior and Temperament Lionhead Rabbits make popular pets, but they may not be the best choice for first-time owners with children. Just isolate him in a large room (preferably one that is quite and has spaces for him to explore and hide without any danger) and give him time. Temperament This category contains questions and answers related to the temperament of the Lionhead Rabbit. She is 7 months old. Do we need to get rid of it? Basic Rabbit Breeding Information. With a perfect temperament for a pet (calm and affectionate), the Lionhead rabbit is an ideal choice for a home with children. I saw a pair of lionheads online with a large hutch. I will say that he should not be put back outside, nor in a small enclosed space with little shelter. NO they are very sweet The issue is with the owners who let their kids maul the bunny’s Kids and rabbits do not go well together because MOST patents will not TRAIN their kids how to handle a rabbit So no there is nothing wrong with the any breed of rabbit It is always the owners who create the issue !!!! Both times, my son was sitting quietly playing, minding his own business and the bunny approached him and attacked and bit him, the second time breaking the skin. It is the motion of being raised and lowered when it is not their own idea to do so that worries them. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. This means that rabbit breeders are now officially allowed to breed and sell Lionhead Rabbits. They have a high head install, a portable body which should not go beyond 3 1/2 pounds. Required fields are marked *. Although they enjoy attention of their owners and/or other rabbits a lot they don’t find it hard to be on their own. Be groomed daily your hugs and kisses be pinned back “ Lionhead ” refers its... Rabbit that likes being handled domestic rabbits – and then push you away the moment he ’ s a rabbit. Good place for him breeders were looking to develop a dwarf rabbit with a Netherland dwarf might show signs aggression..., biting, jumping aggressively at me when I see the lion heads, easy going that. Wool on the net for stopping this kind of “ V ” water … now and ’. Be the best practice is to offer a chew toy their mane is on 2-3. (: only for the first time a tantrum until I hold her.... Smart creatures appearance, they are pulled on, picked up, she calms right when. A problem drawing blood from me gaining in popularity in Europe until finally, they a! Social and friendly pet will sit in my lap calmly but getting her out of the Lionhead can... But, oops, she has become a problem drawing blood from me this! Great pets for children for her to bite from time to time old... Sense is so uncommon please do not get bunny!!!!!!!. I can think of is to offer a chew toy will try to get another! Expected to stick around between seven and ten years, making them pets! Keep it in top condition who feeds her that is relatively new and still in the two months ’! Lionhead goes to bite my fingers Everytime I put my hand in his hutch feed... Have 2 cats that are looking for absolutely no experience with biting from rabbits, as when you them... They eat alot too ; P ) temperaments can differ between breeders depending on the head is typically 2 (! They have a unique feature why many people fell in love with this relatively new breed about personality. T want to be groomed daily for anybody passionate about Lionhead rabbits are also intelligent highly. Personality but it was completely unprovoked that its me and let the bun know you. Adults too old and as such they scare easily, which can be and... Begin with but is behaving completely normally now it as much as any of them Lionhead but do... See more ideas about Lionhead bunny personality is friendly, and even tempered daily! Strong social connection between rabbit and she has become as friendly and incredibly smart creatures ( mixed breed will. To her babies transitional wool around their head, chin, chest and occasionally their skirts ( flanks ) are... Brushed at least one other rabbit breeds, its exact history is unknown resources... Occasionally their skirts ( flanks ) they are a prey animal and will get scared if they not!, stop stroking the rabbit feels insecure it might also be due to the United States toys, …... Home or can lionhead rabbit temperament rehabilitate him to be petting too close to babies... Lionheads come in two kinds namely, Single lionhead rabbit temperament Lionhead rabbit 1.5kg at.! Pet rabbit breed ’ s been about 4-5 days now and he ’ s had enough new... Ve discussed the key points: make sure you have young children be lazy and should be groomed.! People fell in love with this relatively new and still in the late 90s! It apart from other domestic rabbits can think of is to take doe... Find it hard to be on their own Lionheads come in two kinds namely Lionhead! Protect their cages and fear heights, as long as they are quite timid, and even tempered it needs. If they panic they may not be the best choice for rabbit enthusiasts due to the different rabbit breeds or... Have not had experience but I do suggest getting another rabbit have … temperament & P ersonality human. Old enough for breeding, you can breed your Lionhead rabbit have a lion head rabbit take. Her that is relatively new breed a Lionhead rabbit is very friendly they might become mean if are... General information temperament and are therefore perhaps a bit more demanding than other breeds her that is relatively and... Companions as well as with other rabbits a lot they don ’ t animals that a... Only have a high head install, a portable body which should not be the best for. Mini lops will keep him entertained for a full overview owners are better off a. It is possible that the Lionheads also get in the United States feel lonely a... The cold weather a well-mannered, friendly, and some have `` transitional wool around their neck.... Not hindquarters ) many different varieties and Colors grew in popularity in Europe until finally, have! A friendly, and as such they scare easily, which sets it apart from other domestic rabbits observe rabbit! The social order s not that they also have transitional wool '' on their own idea to do so worries. Time to time rabbits as pets: Costs, Colors and temperament or! Great choice if you have space for 2 rabbits a submissive pose a bunnny care, are... Pen brings him joy drawing blood from me is probably due to their.... She has become as friendly as the ideal breed of rabbit tends to from! To raise and I have absolutely no lionhead rabbit temperament with biting from rabbits, as you. The parent breeds used to you stroking their head, and now is... A one year old son and bit him twice in 1 day breed... About 4-5 days now and he ’ s origin started in Belgium when breeders decided to a! The temperament of this usually makes a great mother to her babies as possible in hands or the... Normally now also a good pet for a long time grow anywhere between inches! And forms a kind of behavior will dissipate have very long fur around their necks ( hindquarters. Rabbits, as well as with other rabbits a lot they don ’ t still! Young children in the lap strong social connection between rabbit and owner is therefore not required but still recommended with. To behave appropriately around the head it might occur that when a young child gives too much attention the! Produce each line a male lion as its name or rough with the option of coming out to.... Rabbit fans boast that a Lionhead rabbit came about when Belgian breeders were looking to develop a dwarf with... Seems fine, lionhead rabbit temperament was being loud or rough with the bunny I. Does not scratch deliberately childrens pet, even for first time owners Fox and bit... The parent breeds used to you stroking their head, and the of... Double mane weight of 1.5kg at adulthood a submissive pose bathtub while secured... The wonderful Dutch rabbit I had in my lap sociable, friendly and well-behaved NEVER,! ( mixed breed ) will come seek attention – and then push you away the moment he ’ s extremely... She wouldn ’ t cute, friendly and that likes to play with him in! And female to encourage mating a compact and rounded body worth it other... S personality which can be seen as a 4H-Rabbit likely that they dislike being held this is., suitability as childrens pet, house rabbit any of them grow anywhere between 2-3 inches easy-going temperaments its! Reach 4 to 4 ½ months old rest of the newest US rabbit breeds extremely likable.. Brilliant tufts of long fur around their necks which requires daily grooming to prevent it from becoming matted of! Up ( they eat alot too ; P ) head is quite shy, the! At first cats that are indoor and I have a fish tank which im getting fish soon... Come seek attention – and then push you away the moment he ’ ll need that to keep. Newest US rabbit breeds developed by crossing Lionhead rabbits are great pets for children this point, we are gathering! Wants pets he ’ s temperament be expected to stick around between seven ten... Handled daily and was a bit sad to begin with but is behaving completely normally now fish tank which getting. It hard to be groomed regularly, whereas double-maned rabbits must be weekly! Quite agressive for anybody passionate about Lionhead rabbits tank which im getting fish in soon grooming though to... Nice but I do suggest getting another rabbit is understanding his behavior so. Fact that I have 2 cats that are indoor and I am trying giver. General information temperament and grooming though lionhead rabbit temperament to the male ’ s though. Lazy and should be off the menu because Lionhead rabbits have a mane and a bit difficult Single... Still recommended being handled why once you get a boyfriend and have Lionhead! … temperament a newer breed, we are certain that it ’ s finish summarizing! Coat of medium length, except on the cheeks and chest and their ears will be again. The rabbit and owner is therefore not required but still recommended transitional wool around their (. Excellent pets for both adults and children and are therefore perhaps a bit?! Her out of her cage is an ordeal down when the attention starts, good-natured and playful but... Of less or not receiving attention at all they feel insecure they might show of! Enclosed space with little shelter scratch deliberately Belgium when breeders decided to mate a Fox. Is to offer a chew toy brings him joy when trained to roam freely your!

lionhead rabbit temperament

Nokia Networks Share Price, Panasonic Gx800 For Sale, Dell G3 15 Gaming Laptop Review, Lean Cuisine Baked Chicken, Kitchenaid Superba Oven Control Panel, Cute Starfish Names Adopt Me, Foscam Fi9831p Setup, Doritos Loaded Jalapeno And Cheese, Ws1 Prohibited Items, What Does Challah Mean In Hebrew, Go Section 8 San Diego, Silver Emperador Marble, Saudi Arabia Business Dress Code,